Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Miss Brooks Loves Books (and I don't)


Miss Brooks Loves Books (and I don't) by Barbara Bottner, illustrated by Michael Emberley, Alfred A. Knopf, 2010, ISBN 978-0-375-84682-3
PS: A first-grade girl who does not like to read stubbornly resists her school librarian's efforts to convince her to love books until she finds one that might change her mind.
I love this book. I wish I had written it. It is the story of every school librarian in the world. She loves to read. She reads to her students. She dresses up. She gets excited. And she persists until she finds just the right book for each and every child. (BTW, the book that finally wins the girl's heart: Shrek by William Steig. Be prepared to read it to your students after you read this book.) The book mentions that the librarian is celebrating "Book Week", which would be a great time to read this bok. But I may use it at the beginning of the year instead. Just because I can't wait to use it!!

No comments: